Change of Course

Courses may be added or dropped at my.harvard. Withdrawal petitions are available on the Registrar’s web site at   

It is the student’s responsibility to review the course report carefully, and to perform the appropriate edit/drop/swap function at my.harvard by the fifth Monday of the term. Corrections (as opposed to changes) to student records made after the established deadlines of the fifth or seventh Monday of the term must be approved by the Administrative Board and will incur a charge of $25 in addition to the charge of $10 for correction of student errors made on my.harvard. The student can confirm the recording of drop/add petitions by checking My Courses on my.harvard. Receiving permission to enroll in a course is not the final step. The last step in this process belongs to the student. After permission is granted, the student must enroll in the course by submitting the add petition on my.harvard.

Dropping/Adding Courses

Students may add a course until the fifth Monday of the term with the permission of the instructor. Students may drop a course from their record only until the fifth Monday of the term. Special enrollment dates are used for module courses (typically half-semester in length); consult the academic calendar of the school offering such courses.

Students are not charged for any adding or dropping by the third Monday of the term. All students pay a $10 fee for adding or dropping courses after the third Monday until the fifth Monday deadline.

Withdrawing from Courses without Credit

A student may petition to withdraw from a course by the seventh Monday of a term. When a petition to withdraw from a course has been approved, the student’s record will carry the notation WD for the course. The transcript states: “WD indicates permission to withdraw from the course without completing requirements and credit for the course.” All students pay a $10 fee for withdrawal petitions filed by the seventh Monday of the term.

A student who does not receive permission to drop or withdraw from a course by the fifth or seventh Monday, respectively, and who is absent from a regularly scheduled final examination, during the Final Examination and Project Period, will receive a grade of ABS (Absent) in the course. An unexcused ABS is equivalent in all respects to a failing grade.

Changing Letter-Graded or Pass/Fail Status of Courses

A course may be changed from letter-graded to Pass/Fail (with the instructor’s approval), or changed from Pass/Fail to letter-graded until the fifth Monday of the term. After that day, no changes in the grading status of any course can be made. There is no fee for changing the grading status in a course. (See Cross-Registration and Year-long Courses.)