Choice of Courses

Every student is required to select FAS courses from those listed in my.harvard, with the guidance of a freshman adviser, sophomore adviser, or concentration adviser or tutor. (For enrollment in non-FAS courses, see Cross-Registration.) Selection should be made with a view toward satisfying concentration and General Education requirements and other degree requirements not already met. Students must qualify for each selected course according to the course’s guidelines and prerequisites stated in my.harvard or otherwise satisfy the instructor that they are properly prepared to enroll in it.

Courses in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences are numbered according to the following scheme:

  • 1–99 or 910–999: Primarily for Undergraduates
  • 100–199 or 1000–1999: For Undergraduates and Graduates
  • 200–299 or 2000–2999: Primarily for Graduates
  • 300–399 or 3000–3999: Graduate Courses of Reading and Research

Courses numbered in the 100s or 1000s or below and courses designated by capital letters ordinarily are open to all students who have met the prerequisites unless the instructor’s permission is required (indicated on my.harvard), or unless enrollment is restricted by the size of the room or by similar limitations of resources. Undergraduates may not enroll in courses numbered in the 300s or 3000s. The appropriate course level is indicated in the course record (‘for undergraduates’, ‘for undergraduates and graduates’, etc.) Exceptions are Advanced Standing students in their fourth year of residence who are candidates for the master’s degree. They may enroll in such courses with the instructor’s permission.

It is inappropriate for students to receive credit for the same work for which they are financially compensated. Thus, undergraduate course assistants may not receive academic credit in any form, including Independent Study and Supervised Reading and Research course credit, for courses with which they are assisting. Research for which students receive a grant may inform their academic work. Research performed for other financial compensation may inform academic work in subsequent semesters only, and only with the express permission of the employer, including a laboratory head.