Policies Governing Enrollment and Residency


Policies Governing Residential Life

Disciplinary Actions

Roommate Rights and Responsibilities




Obscene or Harassing Telephone Calls

Nonpayment of Telephone Calls

Other Residences

Care of Residential Property

Maintenance and Energy Conservation


Resource Conservation

Care of Furnishings and Personal Property

Security and Access

Health and Safety

Fire Safety Regulations, Instructions, and Procedures

Carbon Monoxide

Storage and Vacate Procedures

Vehicle Registration and General Parking Regulations

Policies Governing Residential Life

Disciplinary Actions

Disciplinary actions within the Houses, the Dudley Community, and dormitories under College supervision include admonition, probation, and requirement to leave the premises. In the latter instance, a written warning will describe what the unacceptable behavior is, the fact that the Faculty Dean, Dudley Community Assistant Dean, or First-Year Experience staff has the right to require the student to leave, and what steps must be taken by the student in order to remain in residence. Should the student be unable or unwilling to take the steps to improve the situation and should the student continue to behave in a manner that is detrimental to the well-being of the residential community, the Faculty Dean, Dudley Community Assistant Dean, or First-Year Experience staff, in consultation with the Dean of the College, may then require the student to leave the premises even though the student may continue to be enrolled in the College. A student required to leave a House, the Dudley Co-op or other Dudley-supervised residence, or dormitory for disciplinary reasons will not ordinarily have the opportunity to return to a College residence.

Roommate Rights and Responsibilities

Personal issues, such as academic stress, alcohol abuse, depression, and eating disorders, may strain relationships in a living situation. It is both a student’s right and a student’s responsibility to seek help when such issues become disruptive.

Studies on alcohol abuse at colleges and universities show that there are significant secondary effects for roommates and friends of those who drink excessively. Roommates and friends report that sometimes they cannot study or sleep because they are worried when a friend gets so drunk that the friend does not return home until the next morning. Roommates often “baby-sit” for those who cannot make wise choices for themselves or who need actual medical help due to intoxication.

Students' concerns about protecting a roommate’s privacy, in this and other instances, should not keep them from getting support personally or for that other person. If a student is worried about a friend, if this concern affects living habits, the student has the right and responsibility to seek help both personally and for that other person. It may be that the student’s action spares the individual painful consequences now or later.

Sources of help:


Every student is responsible for respectful treatment of neighbors, in the community and in the residences. In addition to students being responsible for the maintenance of good order and reasonable quiet in their room, they are also responsible for maintenance of good order and reasonable quiet in the neighborhoods in and around campus. Students shall at all times show proper regard for others. Voices, radios, televisions, stereos, musical instruments, and other audio equipment shall be adjusted so as not to disturb the community.


A Harvard student not regularly assigned to a particular dormitory, Dudley residence, or House may not be lodged in that dormitory, residence, or House for more than a brief stay. The consent of other occupants of the room is always required.

Students who wish to have guests who are not Harvard students for more than two nights must first also obtain permission of the Faculty Dean, Dudley Community Assistant Dean, or First-Year Experience staff. The hosts of repeated overnight guests who are not Harvard students must make their guests’ presence known to the Building Manager and security personnel due to safety considerations. The College reserves the right to prohibit overnight guests when issues of security are involved. Food may not be shared with or given to those who are not on a board contract or who have not paid for the meal.

Guest Meals

Guest and inter-House rules for each House are determined by the Faculty Dean and the House Committee. Students may invite members of other Houses for any meal at which guests are allowed. If the guest is “on board,” there will not be a charge, although an HUID must be shown. Guests not on a meal plan or their hosts may pay the transient rates that are posted at the checkers’ desk (cash, BoardPlus and Crimson Cash are accepted for payment).

Food may not be shared with or given to those who are not on a board contract or who have not paid for the meal.


Smoking, including vaping, is prohibited in all University buildings. Harvard Yard is a tobacco-free space. This includes, without limitation, in all administrative, academic, and residential buildings and athletic facilities. Smoking is also prohibited within 25 feet of any residential building as well as in any residential courtyard or breezeway. Students who violate this policy may be banned from College housing and also may face disciplinary charges. Harvard University Health Services provides education and assistance to students who wish to stop smoking.

Obscene or Harassing Telephone Calls

The placement of an obscene or harassing telephone call is a criminal offense, punishable to the full extent of the law in the courts. It is treated as a serious disciplinary issue within the College.

Information from the Harvard Police is available in the Dean of Students Office and the House Offices for anyone receiving such a call.

Nonpayment of Telephone Bills

For calls other than Centrex and 911, telephone service may be deactivated for accounts that have payments overdue by sixty days or more. It is not possible for the University to deliver messages to students whose service has been disconnected. In response to the concerns of parents who may attempt to call a telephone number that has been temporarily disconnected, the University will inform them that the line has been disconnected for nonpayment and advise them to use an alternate means of communication. Life or death emergencies will be referred to the Harvard Police Department. The University does not allow a student to graduate until all indebtedness is satisfied.

Other Residences

Because College housing is limited, students may not hold a room in a House, Dudley residence, or dormitory during term time if it is not their main residence for that period.

Care of Residential Property

As part of the care of the buildings under College supervision, students must observe the following specific regulations.

  1. Residents are responsible for reporting in writing any damages to their suite (beyond normal wear and tear) to their Building Manager within one week following registration. Any unreported damages found in the suite after this time will be assumed to be the responsibility of the current residents of the suite and they will be term billed to pay for the cost of any repairs. Residents are not permitted to paint their rooms or suites. Students will be charged on their term bill for the full cost to repaint a suite to its original color. Depending on the color and type of paint used, the cost can exceed $200 per wall.
  2. While decorating their rooms students must be careful not to attach anything to the walls or to other surfaces in a way that causes damage or leaves any marks. Upon request, the Building Manager will provide students with molding hooks, or an adhesive gum (e.g., Hold-it). Students are advised that use of any other methods (tape, tacks, nails, hooks, etc.) will result in a charge on the term bill.
  3. The installation of any temporary room partition must conform with the regulations outlined in the Office of Physical Resources student room partition policy and be specifically authorized by the Building Manager. Unauthorized partitions will be removed immediately and the students responsible will be term billed for the cost of removal and any related damage.
  4. Students are expected to maintain a reasonable level of cleanliness in their rooms. All students living in rooms containing an ensuite bathroom are responsible for the cleaning of the bathroom. Cleaning information can be found on the Dean of Students Office website, on the door of each ensuite bathroom, as well as with cleaning supplies available from each Building Manager. Rooms will be inspected periodically during the year and at the end of each academic year. Charges will be levied for violations of rules and repair, including damages or other interventions resulting from lack of cleaning; these charges will be added to the occupants’ term bill. If in the course of performing inspections, repairs or maintenance in a student suite a staff member comes across a prohibited cooking appliance or other safety hazard, the staff member will report the item to the Building Manager. The Building Manager will provide the student with notice of the violation and re-inspect the room within two weeks’ time. If the violation remains in the student room, the Building Manager will remove and dispose of the offending appliance or materials.

Maintenance and Energy Conservation

All building maintenance problems should be reported to the Building Manager’s office for the House or dormitory. If there is a security guard on duty in the House when the problem occurs, the security guard should be notified. After hours, and if the Building Manager is not available, or in cases of serious emergency, the problem should be reported to the Harvard Control Center at 617-495-5560.

All students are urged to be especially mindful of energy consumption as energy costs are a significant portion of annual room fees. The following simple actions will reduce energy consumption: using computer power management software and turning off computers when not in use; turning off lights and other appliances when last to leave a room; closing windows and storm windows during cold weather; moving furniture away from radiators and adjusting the radiator (most radiators in Houses have adjustable valves that allow control of the level of heat in the room) to a comfortable temperature. Occupants should never turn radiator valves all the way to the “off” position or leave windows open during cold weather, since they may be held responsible if pipes freeze because of these actions.

Rooms in the Houses or dormitories that are overheated or unusually cold should be brought to the attention of the Building Manager so that the necessary alterations can be made by Facilities Maintenance. Space heaters are prohibited without the permission of the Building Manager since they are fire hazards and expensive to operate.


Recycling is mandatory in Cambridge. Students must bring all trash and recyclables to the designated recycling area in each House, Dudley residence, or dormitory, and should do so regularly throughout the term. Materials should be sorted into trash, mixed paper, commingled container, and battery receptacles. Composting is recommended and encouraged in dormitories.

  • Mixed paper includes newspapers, magazines, phone books, white and colored office paper, junk mail with window envelopes, paper with metal staples or spiral bindings, paper with small bits of adhesive tape and flattened cardboard. The mixed paper bag or barrel should not contain food wrappers, tissues, cups, pizza boxes, plastic wrappers, or trash. Please make a dedicated effort to reuse and recycle paper, as paper is a major component of University waste.
  • Commingled containers include cans, jars, cardboard beverage containers and bottles made of glass, metal, or plastic. All caps and lids should be discarded, and containers should be emptied and rinsed before they are deposited in the receptacles. Liquids remaining in containers significantly complicate recycling and waste disposal.
  • Batteries of any kind, including those for laptops, cordless phones, pagers, radios, Walk-mans, etc. must be recovered for safe disposal. In the Yard, batteries can be left at the battery recycling bin in each trash/recycling room. In the Houses, batteries can be left at the Building Manager’s office.

In addition to recycling, students are encouraged to reduce waste by purchasing and printing carefully and reusing paper, mugs, furnishings, and other equipment. Direct benefits of recycling to students include contributing to University financial savings which can be translated into student programs, raising Harvard’s standing in national recycling competitions, forming sound habits for the future, and contributing to a cleaner and healthier world.

For questions about recycling and waste reduction please call the University Operations Services Recycling Hotline at 617-495-3042 or refer to the University Operations Services Recycling & Solid Waste Removal website.

Resource Conservation

Undergraduates play a key role in University efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and move toward an environmentally sustainable campus. Student cooperation and leadership in areas of energy use reduction, solid waste reduction and recycling has and will continue to help further FAS environmental stewardship goals for Houses, Dudley residences, and dorms.

Undergraduates in residence are urged to integrate resource efficiency and environmental responsibility into their daily life in the Houses and dormitories. Above-mentioned expectations include: recycling all recyclable containers and papers; properly disposing of toxic materials such as batteries; reporting leaks immediately; turning off lights and appliances when not in use; and reducing heat waste in the winter. Other community standards include: using computer power management software; purchasing energy-efficient appliances; taking only as much food as one will eat in the dining hall; and using warm or cold water rather than hot for most laundry loads. Consult the Harvard Green Campus Initiative for further information on campus greening activities.

Questions about recycling may be addressed to the University Operations Recycling Hotline at 617-495-3042.

Care of Furnishings and Personal Property

  1. Students are responsible for all University furniture provided in their rooms or apartments. If students in the Houses or Dudley residences decide not to use some pieces of furniture, they must store them within the building at the direction of the House Building Manager. All first-year dormitory furniture must remain in suites unless approved by the Accessible Education Office. Please note that in the renovated Houses, furniture storage outside of the student suite is no longer available. Any unwanted furniture items must remain in the student suite. In the DeWolfe Street buildings, furniture storage is not available. Written instructions about the process will be made available during move-in. Students are also responsible for returning any stored pieces to the room before they vacate it. Failure to do so will result in a moving fee.
  2. Students may obtain a bed board (plywood for under mattress) for health or comfort from the House Building Manager or Dorm Crew. The student must sign a form agreeing to be charged the cost of replacing the bed board if it is not returned by the end of the academic year. Bedrails are not provided but bedding/linens for added protection can be purchased online or at retail stores.
  3. Waterbeds are prohibited in College buildings.
  4. Furnishings for the House, Dudley residence, and dormitory common areas may not be removed for students’ personal use. Building Managers will remove such furnishings from student rooms when found. Students will be assessed the cost of removing the articles, and the incident may be brought to the attention of the Administrative Board for appropriate disciplinary action.
  5. Students who bring articles of personal property onto the premises of the University do so at their own risk. The University assumes no responsibility and shall not be liable for any articles, including mail or parcels sent to students that are damaged, lost, stolen, or left behind after vacating. The University urges students to leave valuables at home or to obtain appropriate property insurance. The University recommends obtaining private insurance if your belongings are not covered by your family’s homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy. You may contact the Office of Risk Management for advice regarding insurance options available to Harvard students.
    Retrieval of personal property (jewelry, contact lenses, etc.) from sink, shower, toilet and bathroom drains is the financial responsibility of the student requesting retrieval. The student will be term billed $75 for the cost of the plumber’s time necessary to retrieve the object. This charge applies even if the plumber is unable to retrieve the lost item.
  6. Students must maintain their personal furnishings in a decent state of repair, and remove them from the suite at the time of vacating. Any furnishings that might cause a fire hazard or injury to the cleaning staff must be removed on request.
  7. Students may keep refrigerators in their rooms for personal use if the units meet the following specifications: dimensions not to exceed 36” high x 24” wide x 24” deep; weight not greater than 85 lbs. Building Managers will have a list of some models meeting the guidelines.
  8. It is the students’ responsibility to supply their own telephone equipment, or to rent such at the time they apply for service. All suites are equipped with jacks that accommodate the modern plug-in (modular) cords. Some first-year dormitories now have centrally located emergency call boxes.
  9. Bicycle racks are provided for active use, not for long-term storage. Bicycles left on racks for extended periods of time, or which appear to be unusable may be removed from bike racks. Check with your Building Manager or Quad Bikes for availability of seasonal storage.

Security and Access

For the protection of students, their belongings, and University property, doors must be locked at all times. Students are reminded to always lock their doors even if leaving their room for a moment, never prop open doors, never leave their key in the lock or near the door, never allow visitors to “piggyback” with them when entering their residence hall, request that visitors identify themselves prior to opening the door, and never leave notes indicating one’s absence. Additional crime prevention tips can be found at the HUPD Website. Students are encouraged to call the HUPD at 617-495-1212if they observe someone acting in a suspicious manner.

Students will be asked to sign a receipt for the coded keys issued for their House or dormitory and, when applicable, their mailbox. Students are responsible for returning these keys, ordinarily in an envelope provided at the time they give up occupancy. Students must request replacements for lost keys from the Building Manager. Each replacement during the term costs $20. A $50 charge is assessed for each key not returned in the manner detailed above when a student vacates a room or suite.

When students lose their keys along with some form of identification, the lock to their suite will ordinarily be changed as soon as it is feasible to do so. An exception will be made in those cases where there is no possibility that the keys can be retrieved. Students will be charged a fee of $150 for the lock change. For those students residing in DeWolfe apartments, these charges will be assessed by Harvard University Housing.

The University must have access to all student suites and the rooms within them. Therefore, students are forbidden to install locks or any other security device (e.g., slide bolts, drop chains, hook and eyes) to any doors of their suite.

Unauthorized or inappropriate possession of any key or passkey, reproduction of any key or passkey, or interference with locks or other security devices is prohibited and makes a student liable to disciplinary action by the Administrative Board and/or criminal prosecution.

Health and Safety

  1. In accordance with College fire safety policy, cooking appliances are prohibited in any room or apartment not equipped with kitchen facilities. One exception to this rule is made for the product called Micro-Fridge, which can be purchased from the manufacturer website or rented through Harvard Student Agencies (HSA). >Models 2.3 MF4-7DI, 2.3 MF4-7DIS and 2.3 MF4 – 7DIW are all permitted in student rooms.
  2. No student may keep an animal in a building owned or leased by the College with the exception of approved service or assistance animals.
  3. Trash must be placed at all times in appropriate containers. Students are required to dispose of their trash according to the particular guidelines established for each residential building by the Building Manager and the Custodial Division.
  4. No chemicals, solvents, grease, paint, or toxic or hazardous substances may be disposed of in the sink, toilet, or shower drains. Students must contact the House Building Manager regarding proper disposal of such items.
  5. Students are not allowed on the roofs or any roofing surfaces of any building.
  6. Students are not allowed on fire escapes except in the case of fire or other emergency.
  7. Occupants of rooms must not place objects, including, but not limited to antennae, satellite dishes, or plants on outside walls, window sills, window frames, roofs, fire escapes, or ledges. Decorations are ordinarily not permitted on the outside of buildings. Exceptions require the approval of the respective Faculty Dean, Dudley Community Assistant Dean, or First-Year Experience staff and Building Manager.
  8. Students may use electrical devices, such as hairdryers and electric razors, only if they comply with the standards of the National Electrical Code, Underwriters Laboratories, and Massachusetts laws and regulations, and are not cooking appliances, as stated in item 1 above.
    1. Appliances must not be connected to light sockets.
    2. Do not daisy chain or plug multiple outlet strip plugs or surge protectors together.
    3. No spliced cords are allowed.
    4. Extension cords and stereo speaker wiring must be in good condition and of adequate wire gauge.
    5. Extension cords and stereo speaker wiring must not be attached to wall or floor surfaces, run through doorways or partitions, or be covered by rugs.
  9. Refrigerators may not be installed in closets or bathrooms or covered with blankets or tablecloths. Cords for refrigerators must comply with item 8 above.
  10. The House Building Manager may request inspection by Facilities Maintenance electricians of any electrical device brought to the College. Should Facilities Maintenance declare the device unsafe for any reason, it must be removed immediately from College housing.
  11. The installation of air conditioners is forbidden without the written approval of the Accessible Education Office.
  12. Students may use equipment for capturing direct broadcast satellite signals only if the installation of these devices does not cause damage to College-owned property and if the installation is performed in accordance with items 5, 6, and 7 above. External antennae, dishes, etc. are prohibited. Students with questions should consult the appropriate Building Manager or the manager of First-Year Dormitories.
  13. All halogen floor lamps are prohibited.
  14. Service should be called for all pest control issues. Do not use chemicals or sprays.

Students are urged to be thoroughly familiar with Fire Safety Regulations, Instructions, and Procedures below.

    Fire Safety Regulations, Instructions, and Procedures

    Fire: 911
    University Police: 617-495-1212


    A student who violates any of the fire safety regulations (see Fire Regulations) or the fire emergency procedures below, including those pertaining to the abuse of fire alarm, smoke detector, sprinkler, or fire extinguisher systems, will be subject to disciplinary action, including requirement to withdraw.

    Fire Emergency Procedures

    Any smoke detector in a stairwell or corridor can initiate a general alarm when a predetermined concentration of smoke reaches it. This alarm has the same sound as the alarms initiated manually and is a signal to leave the building. Each room or suite is typically equipped with a 110-volt AC smoke detector. If activated, the alarm sounds in that room only. Additionally, all of the dorms and Houses are equipped with sprinkler systems, which, if activated, produce 18-25 gallons of water per minute. If there is a fire, go to the nearest exit, pull the fire alarm at the pull station, and leave the building.

    If You Find a Fire

    1. Sound the alarm by activating the nearest fire alarm pull station and call the Fire Department at 911 from a safe location. You can also call 617-495-5560, the University Operations Center, who will notify the Fire Department, HUPD, a University fire safety mechanic, the Building Manager, and other key personnel.
    2. Alert your neighbors only if you can do so without delaying your exit.
    3. Leave the building immediately, close doors behind you as you exit the building and proceed to the designated emergency evacuation meeting location.
    4. If you have information on how the fire started or how the alarm was activated, report it to the Fire Department.

    Do not try to put out the fire. Use your common sense. Your safety is more important than property.

    If the Alarm Sounds

    Do not delay evacuation or assume that this is a false alarm. Immediately begin to exit the building.

    1. Feel the door. If it is hot, do not open it. Stay in your room. Put a towel or blanket (preferably wet) under the door to keep the smoke out. If your telephone works, call the Cambridge Fire Department at 911. Also call the Harvard University Police Department at 617-495-1212 to let them know where you are. Attract attention to yourself. Hang a sheet or something out the window.
    2. If the door is not hot, open it slowly. If smoke and heat fill the hall, close the door, stay in your room, and call for help.
    3. If you can safely leave your room, take your key and close your door behind you. Exit by the nearest clear exit stairway. Do not use the elevator – it may fail in a fire or be automatically recalled to the ground floor. Failure to leave when an alarm sounds, unless there are safety reasons for not doing so, is a punishable offense.
    4. If you encounter smoke on your way out, stay low and crawl if necessary. You are more apt to find breathable air close to the floor. Cover your nose and mouth with a wet towel or wet handkerchief, if possible.
    5. So that you may be accounted for, go to the predetermined emergency evacuation meeting location.
    6. Do not attempt to reenter the building until the Fire Department gives permission to do so.

    Fire Safety Instructions

    1. Combustible materials are not allowed in hallways or stairwells, including welcome mats outside suite doors.
    2. Do not overload wiring. Appliances should be plugged into wall outlets, never connected to light sockets. Extension cords should be Underwriters Laboratories or National Electric Code approved cords in good condition and of proper rating. Do not splice extension cords; never run them through doorways or partitions, or cover them with rugs.
    3. Use fireproof draperies. Limit the number of flammable decorations and keep your room neat and clean. Draperies are not allowed in first-year dormitories.
    4. The use of candles and other sources of open flame is prohibited in House, Dudley residence, and dormitory rooms. Any candles found during room inspections will be confiscated. Menorahs may be lit only in House common areas and only with the approval of the Faculty Dean or Dudley Assistant Dean. They must always be attended.
    5. It is illegal to use fireplaces, as they can present a safety hazard to all occupants.
    6. Cooking equipment is prohibited. The City of Cambridge forbids cooking in any room or apartment not equipped with permanent cooking facilities.
    7. Know emergency escape routes: fire doors, window exits, and fire escapes. Never block emergency escape routes or block open or prop open any fire doors. Emergency exit doors within rooms/suites shall not be blocked on either side by furniture or obstructions of any kind.
    8. Student participation in annual fire drills is mandatory.
    9. If you have information on the cause of a fire alarm activation, report information to tutors, proctors, Faculty Deans, Dudley Assistant Dean, Resident Deans, or the Fire Department representatives.

    For further information, contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety, 46 Blackstone Street, Cambridge, 617-495-2060, or visit their fire safety website.

    Carbon Monoxide

    Select rooms may be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, tasteless and non-irritating gas created when fuels (e.g. gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, and wood) are burned. Improperly vented appliances used for heating and cooking can be sources of carbon monoxide. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires residential buildings with carbon monoxide-generating appliances to be equipped with carbon monoxide detection devices and alarms.

    Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, runny nose, sore eyes, and are often described as “flu-like symptoms.” Higher-level exposure symptoms may include dizziness, drowsiness, and vomiting. Extreme exposure to carbon monoxide can result in unconsciousness or death.

    Carbon Monoxide Alarm Instructions

    The carbon monoxide alarm will sound four quick “chirps” every few seconds, indicating that carbon monoxide is present.

    1. Everyone in the immediate area of the alarm must immediately move to fresh air outdoors. If anyone is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 or Harvard University Police Department, 617-495-1212.
    2. If there are no symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call the University Operations Center, 617-495-5560, for instructions and assistance. Remain outside until directed by the Police or Fire Department that it is safe to re-enter the building.

    Storage and Vacate Procedures

    1. Bicycles may be stored in the Houses and dormitories only within guidelines established by each appropriate Building Manager. In no case may a bicycle obstruct a corridor, stairway, or path of emergency exit.
    2. Motorcycles or scooters are not allowed in any College building.
    3. Students who take a leave of absence or are required to withdraw may not store any belongings with the University.
    4. Graduating seniors must remove all personal belongings by the date established by the College administration. For seniors graduating in May this will ordinarily mean by 5 pm of the Friday following Commencement. Any belongings left after that time will be disposed of by the University.
    5. Students living in the Houses or dormitories who are leaving in the spring and intending to return to residence in the fall may store belongings in designated areas during the summer on a space available basis.
      1. Please Note: Storage is not available in every House, and students should check with the House Building Manager to learn if storage is available in their particular House.*
      2. In those Houses where summer storage is available, the amount of storage space varies considerably, as does the number of boxes and/or pieces of furniture that students are permitted to store. Students may not store their belongings in a House other than their own. Students assume the risk for all items stored at the University. Since the University will not be responsible for any loss, theft or damage, students are strongly urged not to store items of significant value, important class notes, etc., or to insure them if they must leave them. Students are not permitted to store items that are banned from use in the Houses and dormitories such as halogen lamps, microwave ovens and any other cooking appliances. Per order of the City of Cambridge Fire Department, no items may be stored in basement hallways, stairwells, or any other emergency egress route. Items left in any of these areas will be disposed of immediately.
      3. No storage is available for students who live within 150 miles of the College.
    6. There will be no access to stored belongings until the Houses officially open in the fall, with the single exception of students attending Harvard Summer School. Stored articles will be held until the Course Registration deadline (except in designated areas that must be cleared by the Course Registration deadline). Stored articles that are not removed by the appropriate date will be considered abandoned. The University will then donate the items to charity, sell them, or use them for House purposes.
    7. Students moving out of College housing must remove all personal belongings at the time of departure. Rented refrigerators must be returned to the rental agency before the student leaves. All trash must be removed. The cost of removing excess trash, disposing of abandoned furniture and belongings, and performing extraordinary cleaning of rooms after students’ departure will be charged to departing occupants.

    * Houses undergoing renewal will provide students with new common room furniture and will create new social spaces in rooms formerly used for storage, and so will no longer be able to offer storage to their residents.

    Vehicle Registration and General Parking Regulations

    Harvard University is very well served by public transportation, allowing access to South Station, Logan International Airport, downtown Cambridge and Boston, and most points of interest. For information on public transportation, walking, bicycling and bike and car share programs visit the CommuterChoice Program website.

    Students who bring their vehicles to school are required to register their cars with Parking Services. The University assumes no responsibility for damages to any vehicle or its contents for reason of fire, theft, vandalism, or other cause.

    Campus Service Center

    Monday through Friday, 8 am–5 pm

    8th Floor, Smith Campus Center, 1350 Massachusetts Avenue

    Tel: 617-496-7827; Fax: 617-496-8278
    Email: parking@harvard.edu

    All vehicles parked on Harvard University property require a valid parking permit. Students who purchase permits are permitted to park only in those areas officially assigned by Parking Services. Students must comply with all University parking regulations. These parking regulations are in effect at all times including nights, weekends, and holidays. All vehicles in violation of University parking regulations are subject to ticketing and/or towing.

    On-street Cambridge parking is reserved for city residents with Massachusetts vehicle registrations. For more information on resident stickers, please visit the City of Cambridge website or call 617-349-4700.

    Undergraduates living on-campus may purchase a permit to park at the One Western Avenue Garage. Commuter parking is available at the One Western Avenue Garage on a space-available basis. Applications are available to students during registration in the fall.

    Nonresident Student Driver Statements and Decals

    State law requires Harvard to post the following notice to all students who are not Massachusetts residents:


    Under Massachusetts law, if out-of-state students bring cars to campus but elect not to register them with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, then they must file a nonresident driver statement with the local police department, whether or not they apply for on-campus parking. Shortly after filing the nonresident driver statement with the Cambridge/Boston [as applicable] Police Department, students will receive a nonresident student driver decal from the University Parking Office. This decal must be prominently displayed in the uppermost center portion of the vehicle’s windshield.

    Harvard Parking Permit Policies

    In order to register for parking, all students requesting parking must provide the following information:

    1. A valid Harvard ID, or a driver’s license with proof of University affiliation
    2. Proof of residency (e.g., lease or housing agreement with the student’s name and address on it)
    3. Vehicle registration, which clearly states the student’s, parent’s, or spouse’s name. If the last name on the registration does not match student’s last name, please be prepared to show documentation stating legal connection with the vehicle (insurance papers stating student’s name and the vehicle plate, etc.)

    It is the responsibility of the student operating a motor vehicle at the University to inform Parking Services of any vehicle change or registration change made during the academic year. For the most current information on parking types and rates, please visit the Parking Services student website. All garage occupancy is on a first-come, first-served basis. There are no assigned spaces in the student garages. Priority will be given to students living in Harvard-affiliated housing.

    To effect cancellation and receive a credit, a student must return the issued hang tag and access credentials (e.g., transponders) to the Campus Service Center at 8th Floor, Smith Campus Center, 1350 Massachusetts Avenue during regular business hours. Failure to return the hang tag and access credentials will result in accrual of parking fees.

    All student yearly parking will be prorated on a monthly basis. Please note that parking hang tags and access credentials are non-transferable.

    Tickets, Penalties, and Appeals

    All vehicles not displaying a valid Harvard University parking permit are subject to ticketing and/or towing without notice and at the owner’s risk and expense.

    A student will be held responsible for any violation incidental to the operation of the vehicle, no matter who the driver may be. Citations will be issued for the following parking offenses: safety violations, regulatory violations, or violations of accessible parking accommodations.

    Anyone wishing to appeal a parking violation must do so in writing within 21 days of receiving the violation notice. Appeals can be submitted online through the new eBusiness portal or sent directly to the Campus Service Center at the 8th Floor, Smith Campus Center, 1350 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138.

    Citations can also be paid online through the eBusiness portal or by check made payable to Harvard University within 21 days of violation notice issue; a late charge will be applied to all violations not paid within that period. Unpaid violations will be added to the student’s term bill.

    When an unauthorized vehicle is towed, a citation along with a tow fee is accrued. Students whose cars are towed must pick up their claim checks and pay their fines at the Campus Service Center during regular business hours or at the Harvard University Police Department, 1033 Massachusetts Avenue, after hours.

    Accessible Parking

    All parking policy and parking requests based on disability are managed jointly by the University Disability Services (UDS) and Parking Services. Each school has a Local Disability Coordinator, and students with specific needs should first contact the Local Disability Coordinator at their school. Students needing contact information for their school's Local Disability Coordinator should contact UDS at 617-495-1859 (voice) or by email at disabilityservices@harvard.edu. The Local Disability Coordinator will request any medical documentation or other verification of disability or injury that may be necessary prior to the authorization of parking or shuttle services. Students who require accessible parking as a reasonable accommodation will not be required to pay more than the yearly student rate for comparable parking types (taking into account hours of access and the nature of the parking facility), regardless of whether such students are assigned to a lot or garage generally reserved for faculty or staff.

    Visitor Parking

    Visitor permits for select campus lots may be purchased at the Campus Service Center, 8th Floor, Smith Campus Center, 1350 Massachusetts Avenue, Monday through Friday, during regular business hours. Permits may also be purchased via the Online Permit Purchase System. After-hours visitors can pay and park at the Harvard Business School. Please visit the Parking Services visitor website for the most current visitor parking rates. Parking at all visitor lots is issued on a space-available basis.